“Callisthenic Daffodils” October 19th 2014 Weekend Writing Warriors #8Sunday

Every Sunday, a group of us sign up at the Weekend Writing Warriors blog and post a snippet of a work in progress or poetry. I will be using this platform to share another side of my writing – my poetry. I will also be sharing some of my photography and other people’s artworks. Link to Weekend Writing Warriors: http://www.wewriwa.com/ and read and connect with an excellent and diverse group of writers. Here’s my contribution for the week:

6bb0be0a39e5fc8733226fc5ff8f0ff6

Artist unknown

Callisthenic Daffodils

You walk down these soggy hallways

a black knight,

you leave a trail of exits doors

and wishing wells

ajar with tragedy.

The sun burns like a black hole through your arms.

You said it was easy,

you said this

would be easy.

In the beginning

I never understood Gorecki,

you said some things just don’t go together…

(a sort of sorrow?)

You said most happiness ends fairly soon,

(but for pleasure?)

you see too much difference,

(the aesthetics?)

like neon lights and legs.

Fertile dust settles,

your mind turns green,

a lantern.

Behind your cigarette you murmur

like a child’s piano,

soft, leering, musical teeth

chewing up sun-filled afternoons

that burn through lost windows.

I turn my face around your fingers,

I watch you fall

Mozart was a catalyst,

a terrorist,

and Rachmaninov is beautiful

for first dates.

© Catherine Winther

23 Comments

1. Elsa Holland says:

Just wonderful Catherine. I love the beauty and power of your poetry!! ❤

Liked by 1 person

2. I love the black knight and exit doors……and the sun burning …..and Mozart…and Rachmaninov…..and the whole damn thing….sigh….

Liked by 1 person

3. FCEtier says:

Beautiful imagery, thought provoking metaphors.
    Your writing reminds me of Tom Waits.

4. Alexis Duran says:

I love the trail of exit doors and wishing wells- so visual and evocative. Very lovely poem, though I’ll have to look up Gorecki to fully appreciate it.

Liked by 1 person

5. So many images, coming in such rapid succession! Evoking such thoughts…Amazing….

Liked by 1 person

6. Beautiful Catherine. I love your overall flow in this piece. I felt like I was listening to a song, playing slowly as I read, smooth, comforting and very unique! Excellent.

7. Evocative and compelling. Beautiful writing.

8. chellecordero says:

Lots of imagery, great piece.

9. yhosby says:

Great imagery in your wonderful poem. I really enjoyed this.

Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

Liked by 1 person

10. talesbytink says:

This is really good. It really hits its stride about 6 lines in, and from the point of ‘fertile dust settles’ it feels like you have gathered the strands of your poem and pulled them all together, we are dragged along with it from this point on, like a spider caught on a bunch of escaping balloons. The ending is astounding. Very good.

Leave a reply and let's open up a discussion.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s